Saturday, July 12, 2008

solidarity forever

Thank you, Dan Carey, wherever you are...

On this day six years ago you changed my life forever when you walked up to me in a bar during the CGEU conference in Toronto and said, "Hey, there's someone I think you should meet." Truer words were never spoken, my friend.

Your hope was that I could make common cause with the dark-haired, smiling, sparkling-eyed unit chair from Berkeley and that together we could strategize ways to improve relations between the AFT and UAW. In retrospect, it's hard to see what the two of us talking (yes, just talking!) into the wee hours of the night realistically could have accomplished in this regard. But no one can accuse us of failing to build a lasting solidarity, if only on a micro level.

S., I was lost the minute you cast your wicked gaze in my direction. But you had me at Zizek says narrativizing is inherently problematic.

♥ ash

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My sweet wife ... I remember noticing you at the workshop you ran on leadership. I thought, damn, I'll follow her wherever she wants to go! I never knew solidarity could be so sweet.

wobblie said...

Y'all are getting me all misty-eyed. Many hugs to the both of you! One day when all of us are together again, I'll light another t-shirt that I'm wearing on fire to commemorate.

Anonymous said...

Bonjour I'd love to thank you for such a terrific made forum!
Just thought this would be a perfect way to make my first post!

Sincerely,
Laurence Todd
if you're ever bored check out my site!
[url=http://www.partyopedia.com/articles/rubber-ducky-party-supplies.html]rubber ducky Party Supplies[/url].