Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Everything from ABBA to Zeppelin, Led

I'm currently reading Douglas Brinkley's The Great Deluge about the Katrina catastrophe. While it's certainly not a funny book, this quote on page 60 cracked me up:
The bar was holding a midsummer Mardi Gras party featuring the legendary George Porter, founder of the Meters, the seminal New Orleans funk band that influenced everybody from Phish to Widespread Panic.

Call me crazy, but I think the Meters' influence spreads farther than from a white, neo-hippie jam band from Vermont to a white, neo-hippie jam band from Georgia.

2 comments:

lex dexter said...

gah! hilarious.

rounding out this happy time during which i actually made a living wage, i've been beefing up my storehouse of New Orleans Funk vinyl. i shall make use of our vinyl-to-cd burner and avail you of the numerous outtakes and deepcuts, by way of a 'thank you' for this ludicrous post.

- p

wobblie said...

I have commenced drooling. Mmmmm... funkalicious.