Monday, July 7, 2008

I Am Less of a Man Than I Should Be

I can say with some confidence that I know or do 23 of these things. How many you got?
Thirty things to know or do by the time you’re 30:

To take your hat off while eating.

To bring a hostess gift.

Have a valid passport.

How to make small talk.

Your credit score.

And your blood type.

How to do laundry.

And scramble eggs.

Your parents’ birthdays.

How to drive a stick shift.

And order a bottle of wine.

How to set up, and check, bank and credit card balances online.

How to wrap a gift.

Own a suitcase.

Have a local florist, not 1-800 FLOWERS.

How to negotiate.

And compromise.

How to jump a car/change a tire.

Have a retirement plan.

When to stop drinking.

How to file a complaint.

How to make a bed - complete with hospital corners.

How to play a sport (excelling not required).

How much cologne is too much.

When you need a dinner reservation.

How to read the bus schedule.

To tip the maid in a hotel.

To make exceptions for children, and seniors.

How to apologize.

How to give a good hug.

6 comments:

dave3544 said...

For the record, I fail on:
My credit score
My blood type
How to drive a stick
Have a local florist
When to stop drinking
How to make hospital corners
To tip the maid in a hotel

wobblie said...

I know most of these things, but whether I actually do them is another matter. But I totally fail on:

My credit score
My blood type
The local florist (I just buy bouquets at Trader Joe's)
When to stop drinking (I've gotten way better, though!)
Hospital corners

ash said...

I'm over 30, but I always have difficulty figuring out how much cologne to wear. Help me, Kristi Gustafson! By the way, I am totally going to steal your awesome hairstyle! What do you think?

wobblie said...

Hott. (the extra "t" is for "thirty-something")

Anonymous said...

Well I definately don't have at least half of these down but I've still got 9 more years to catch up. But that's no excuse for not knowing/doing most of these things! I guess its the same quandry the Mariners are in too with respect to the Do's and Dont's of managing a flipping MLB team! Uughh

My biggest short falls would be:

Credit Score
Blood Type
Florist
and sadly... tipping the maid

CPS said...

It is little wonder the world is going to hell when so many grown men don't know how to make hospital corners!