Tuesday, July 1, 2008

The Obama-Powell Ticket. Yeah, That's the Ticket!

NPR was floating the idea of an Obama-Powell ticket today in the context of a discussion about the possibility of Powell endorsing Obama. For some reason, I like it. I don't think Obama is going to do any great shakes in his selection of VP. I mean who could it be that would get me whooping? Johnny E.? Maybe. The governor of Kansas? I don't even know her name, although I'm half convinced I had a rather elaborate dream about her the other night. Phil Knight? Bill Gates? Lee Iacoca? (He's still alive. I looked it up.) You name me a VP pick you think will get my juices flowing and I'll give it some serious thought. (Anyone suggesting Andy Stern will be put on probation. That's right probation.)

I'm not saying I'm in love with Obama-Powell, but it would be popular. It would prevent Hillaryites from saying he skipped over her to select someone weaker. It firms up (in popular perception) his foreign policy cred. It would also more than trump any kind of bipartisan credibility the McCain camp might derive from Lieberman crossing over. Lastly, Powell has demonstated a complete willingness to betray all his principles if the president tells him to, which is a pretty nice quality for a VP to have. (I'd like to take this opportunity to apologize to Colin Powell and his entire family for that last shot, which was a cheap one, below the belt. I have long believed that shots like that have no place in American political discourse.)

When Powell takes the steps to distance himself from any possibility he would serve as Obama's VP (3-2-1), then I wil give you my super secret VP pick that will blow your freakin' minds! (Not really). (I mean, not really will it blow your minds. I really will post my super secret pick.) (Which is pretty neat. But not mind blowing). (As long as we're here in parenthetical land, sorry about the 15 year-old reference in the title. And the bad pun.)

8 comments:

ash said...

"Yeah, that's the ticket." So familiar--I can hear it in my head, yet can't place it.

dr said...

Sebelius is the governor of Kansas.

If you believe the GOP's talking points, then the key to this election is the white male working class vote. So Obama should search high and low for a blustery, homophobic, benignly racist, macho cracker. Sounds like Jim Webb to me.

lex dexter said...

oof, pls not jim webb.
we'll have to see who Barry takes on his big Iraq trip forthcoming.

dave3544 said...

Ash: If only there was some vast electronic storehouse of pop culture trivia right at your fingertips.

ash said...

that's why i have YOU, dave, my sweet vast storehouse of pop culture trivia...

ash said...

OK, fine. I looked it up for myself.

EZ said...

didn't Powell give a speech to the UN about something? how did that work out?

fer cheebus sake he is not even a Dem.... I think it would be a huge mistake...

you can't be serious....

dave3544 said...

EZ: This would be more of a Powell = Darth Vader coming back to the good side, rather than the Obama = Luke being tempted by the dark side, which I believe is where you're going.

I'm not a huge Powell lover, but the American people are. And it's not like VPs have a lot of policy pull.

Which Dem are you putting up?