Saturday, June 7, 2008

The Euros Are Here!

And just in time, without hockey I'm going into Euro-sport withdrawal (sorry French Open, the clay courts of Roland Garros are no siren to these eyes).

I've been in something of a retro seventies vibe as of late. Nothing like putting on some aviators and talking gas crisis to make a guy pine for a little grass, sweet summer nights, mellow grooves on the radio, and maybe some cocaine later in the evening. As such, I've decided to back the Dutch this time around. I'll pretend its 1974 and Total Football will win my heart all over again. I was two last time, so winning my heart was no great feat, but still, who will ever forget the loping strides of Johan Cruyff?

I'll admit I know nothing about the modern incarnation if the Dutch squad. I do know they are in a group with the French and the I-ties, and that's enough for me to throw on my orange sweater (have I mentioned the lousy weather we are having?), hoist a cold Heinie Amstel Light (the diet's back on, baby!) and look up something Dutch to shout in encouragement of the team.

Given that Neds has a small chance of getting out of the first round, let me go ahead and pick a playoff team. In a stunner (to me), I'm going to go ahead and pick Spain. But only because half of Liverpool plays for Spain, not because I have any love of the Spaniards.

4 comments:

lex dexter said...

can you replicate for me the moment during which you decided that European people were better than you?

dave3544 said...

The liberal public education system taught me that America is evil, so it really started there. My parents' political leanings, especially union involvement, lead me to fetishize the CCCP and all things anti-American. The liberal news media reinforced these beliefs what with their constant barrage of anti-American, pro-European sentimentality. Of course, the Hollywood entertainment elite took away any notion of morals I might have and substituted European-based relativism.

Wait. No, it was the Beatles. The goddamnist coolest thing on the planet was from England and there it all began.

wobblie said...

I'm flying the orange, too. Owning a jersey, chosen somewhat arbitrarily, makes one something of a partisan, I've found.

Anonymous said...

Dude. Lay off Uncle.