Sunday, November 9, 2008

The Games We Play(ed)

Conversation down thread leads me to ask what competitive drinking games did you all play when you were in the age range of 16-26? (I put it this way instead of "in college" because I went to undergrad late and in graduate school the only competitive drinking I did involved seeing which would last longer, the pain or my liver.)

I'll start.

High school it was quarters. We played full cup of beer, bounce the quarter in the cup of beer, assign the cup to be drained, recover quarter, repeat. This game was not great for me in that until I was 25 or so, I could never burb. Not on command, mind you, but at all. So after chugging a few brewhas, I was bloated like a guy with three or four beers' worth of carbon dioxide building up in his stomach. I later discovered speed quarters, which was very fun, and burbing, which is just practical.

Post high school quarters were still played, but other games came up. Does anyone know "three man"? You roll dice and when certain number combination come up, a mini game was played or a certain function had to be preformed. We usually had "categories" when an eight came up. The roller would call a category, say "cars" and you'd go around the circle and have to name types of cars. When one repeated or the person couldn't think of one, they had to drink. Of course, the three man drank every time a three was rolled. It sucked to be the three man.

We also played a very epic game called "New Kids on the Block." My friend Mark had a deck of cards wherein the face cards were the five New Kids. The game was played like a combination of rummy and poker, where you went around the table and had to take the card off the top of the pile or draw, then discard. You were trying to collect a high poker hand. If you thought you had it, you had to call "New Kids" and everyone had one more chance to draw to beat you. In this last round cheating was freely encouraged. I don't know how many times I asked someone if it would possible for them to "slip me a Joe, if they had it." The highest hand was an NKOTB straight, holding all the New Kids, worth ten points. Or in our parlance, 10 drinks to assign out as the winner saw fit. If you called "New Kids" and lost, then you automatically had 10 drinks and had to pray you weren't assigned the other 10. A drink was commonly thought to be an ounce, but less strictly enforced as the game wore on. It sounds lame, but no one who played New Kids failed to enjoy it. Games would go on for hours. I wish I could play it with you all right now.

What you got?

17 comments:

wobblie said...

Three man was popular with us, as was the card game "Asshole." We loved the cards. Up the river down the river, Hi-lo, Stupidhead, we played all the dumb card drinking games.

dave3544 said...

I'm glad you didn't take the time to describe any of these games, or I'd have something to read.

Anonymous said...

Moose, anyone?

Jason

brown beard said...

"Big Fish"

This game requires an almanac with extensive statistics about fishing. A fish species is named, and the person whose turn it is provides the length and/or weight of the world record. Of course, the sharper minds began to memorize this information, and so further data such as date of catch, location, fisherman, etc. were in play.

The length of your drinking penalty (decided casually by the players) depends on the accuracy of your answer. I recall that freshwater Big Fish was much, much easier than saltwater Big Fish, in part because freshwater fish are smaller and were more familiar to us.

Anonymous said...

Edward Forty-Hands. Tape a forty to each hand. Drink.

I think you win if you can finish one of the beers in time to unzip your pants when you have to go pee.

wobblie said...

My lack of description is primarily due to my not remembering the rules so well. They were drinking games, after all.

Well, Hi-lo was pretty simple. A card is laid down and you guess whether the next card is higher or lower. If you're right, you give away a drink. If you're wrong, you take a drink. If it's the same value, everyone drinks.

Stupidhead involved sticking a card to your forehead. That's about all I remember.

oscar acosta said...

I don't think I have heard of most of these games, but I thought that the Edward fortyhands game stated both fortys had to be finished before you get to untape either of your hands.

As for my most common drinking game, King's Cup seemed to be the weapon of choice. I'm sure a lot of you already know the rules but seeing as none of you mentioned it I'll briefly go over it. So you fill a beverage (beer or mixed drink) to the brim and encircle the cup with a full deck of cards of which the group plucks cards from and depending on the card a minigame or certain sex of the group must drink. Whoever draws the last king in the deck must chug the cup and the game is over. Some popular rules for the cards are queen-- questionmaster where people must make up a question and everyone answers in question form or 8-- pick a mate where the drawer of the card picks someone else who must match you everytime either one of you drinks. To say the least, i've been the most trashed playing this game.

Anonymous said...

moose! i don't remember anything about that game except at some point you race to put your outstretched hands up on either side of your head like moose antlers, the last one to do so has to drink. jason, was this a card game?

Car Carpet said...

Ghost Seconds, Hidden Seconds:

you call "Ghost Seconds" on somebody and they drink till you say stop. The you give them a score. Then, they can call "Hidden Seconds" on you whenever they want, you drink till they say stop and you get a score.

and moose!

Anonymous said...

Fuzzy Duck and Ducky Fuzz

Anonymous said...

I never.

Anonymous said...

When I was in my late-teens, early 20s, and in college, we played "Zoom Schwartz," a verbal drinking game that involved complex rules like eye contact, which hand you held your beer in and speaking clearly a bunch of really odd words. When you messed up, you drank. I got drunk fast at that game. Scheisse.

brown beard said...

Andrew, didn't "Ghost seconds" start out as "Go Seconds"? That was my understanding.

ash said...

I never.

That game is trouble.

wobblie said...

Oh good lord - I'd forgotten all about i never.

I also remember horse racing, which involved a "horse race" between the aces of each suit. There was a funky way of determining odds for each suit, and you could place bets according to these odds. I think you could bid a maximum of three drinks. You'd flip over cards and advance your ace when a card of your suit came face-up. If your pony won, you gave out drinks (so a 2 drink bet on 2:1 odds was four drinks), and if your pony lost, you took the drinks yourself. But the best part of the game was having 15 people hollering at their horses. Better than a day at the track, I tell ya.

mike3550 said...

Kings. Every card had something associated with it - and if you got a king, you dumped your drink (whatever it was) into a common cup. The person who got the last king had to drink whatever concoction was in the cup at the end.

It was fun because different groups had different rules for what cards meant. So, if you were meeting a new group of people (say a girlfriend/boyfriends friends) it was an easy way to get shitfaced quickly.

Wilbur said...

What about "Chubby Bunny"?