Sunday, June 8, 2008

Brand it Down, Now

Brand our city!
The Eugene Register-Guard reports that Springfield, OR has arrived upon its very own tagline - but only after months of deliberation.

And in just a few months, local residents will see those words — Proud History, Bright Future — popping up on banners, signs, city vehicles and other spots throughout town.

The saying is not an official city motto or slogan. City spokesman Niel Laudati calls it a “tag line” that will be incorporated into a series of events and activities occurring in advance of and in conjunction with Springfield’s 125th anniversary in 2010.

Laudati said officials are confident that “Proud History, Bright Future” accurately represents what city residents and others think of Springfield.

That’s because the saying is a product of a “community imaging” survey that generated about 250 responses.
I can see the bumper stickers now:

If You Think Community Imaging is Expensive,
Try Community Imaging-less-ness

3 comments:

ash said...

Hey, Dave--aren't you a Springfield native? Can you flesh out the idea of Springfield's "proud history" for us?

dave3544 said...

We have a little saying about the water in Springfield. "If it's brown, drink it down. If it's black, send it back."

I've seen some pretty piss pour city mottoes in Springfield, my favorite being "Gateway to the McKenzie." Odd thing is that this sign is on Pioneer Parkway, which is actually nowhere near any road leading to the McKenzie. But, if hot "regional river" action is your bag, Springfield has it in spades. Two rivers most of the nation has not heard of. (Although I once read that the Willamette has the 10th largest drainage area of American Rivers, which is pretty impressive, if true).

And how 'bout that Island Park? Home of the vaunted Filbert (that's Hazelnut to you and me, Russ) Festival. Home to a variety of other ethnic-based festivals and a hot place to score meth, or so I have been led to believe.

But you asked about the proud history. There I am a bit stuck. I had something for a moment, but then Amber got done playing Mario Cart and Vision Quest is on the tv and Matt Dillon is playing a "half-Indian on my mother's side" and my mind is blown.

Sorry. I might hit you all with some hot Springfield-related posting later, as it has been on my mind ever since I took Malone on a (forced) tour of my childhood.

wobblie said...

I'm sure your post on Springfield's history will embiggen us all.