Monday, October 27, 2008

PRM - Glove Smelling Edition

I don't think of Spinal Tap as a "1984" movie because I didn't see it until much later. It wasn't foundational to my youth in the same ways as Red Dawn, Karate Kid, Police Academy, Romancing the Stone, Revenge the Nerds, well you get the idea, were. Each one of these movies shaped and formed who I am today. The Tap is a great movie. Invented a whole genre. But, for me, it is just for giggles.

That said, the OG family is a younger crowd and I recognize that. For many of you Tap was a foundational experience and the movie is an all-time classic. All hail Spinal Tap!

This poll also reveled that while we love Prince's music, we'd rather not have to watch him act. Or "act," if you will. Purple Rain the movie did give us one important thing, however, Morris Day and the Time. Some say that Day's unceasing support of Walter Mondale was the only thing that kept Reagan from capturing all 50 states. For that we owe Purple Rain a heartfelt thanks.

Alright, what you all came for:

Adblock

3 comments:

wobblie said...

Well, let's admit that the phrasing of the question puts some ambiguity into one's response. You asked what was the "best movie of 1984," not, "in 1984, which of these movies did you think was the best?" Two completely different criteria, of course. In the former, I ask myself, which of these movies on the list is the best? Which would be a much different answer than if I asked myself, when I was 10 years old, which of these movies did I find the most tubular.

All of which is to say that you're a shitty pollster.

oscar acosta said...

Well I wasn't even alive and I have watched over half of these picks. And all I gotta say is Spinal Tap is the only movie I watched and said to myself, man I want to be in a mockumentary!!

wobblie said...

Damn we're old.