Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Odd conventions

Until today, I did not know that the chairman of the Republican National Committee was one Robert M. "Mike" Duncan (I've only belatedly started going through my designated "right-wing propaganda" mailbox again). I have nothing personal against Mike or his delightfully Southern everyman name. I'm only calling him out on this because his e-signature caught my attention. However, you've seen others like him.

Roger L. "Rocco" Malone.

Wallace R. "Bud" Jenkins.

Avery T. "Tom" Patterson.

Why sign your name like that? Mike probably always introduces himself to people as "Mike Duncan," and he made it to the top of the RNC (regardless of it's current appeal as a post of duty), so why fuck with a winning formula?

On the other hand, maybe he prefers the formality of his given name for such serious work as making his candidate seem like a Man for the Times by recycling memes from the 80s. The 1980s, in case there was any doubt. So for that high-(on something)-level communication, go with the solid and officious Robert M. Duncan, etc. etc.

But awkwardly inserting the nickname - in quotes, no less! - into the more long form signature? Why am I picturing an airbrushed State Farm agent's portrait?

Oh - incidentally, I'd like you all to start referring to me as "Jim".

4 comments:

dave3544 said...

My father-in-law is R. Dennis Hayward. Make of that what you will.

wobblie said...

That makes sense to me. On the other hand, if it was R. Dennis "Bob" Hayward...

lex dexter said...

so i guess there's no reason for me to go ahead with Catholic Confirmation ceremonies.

so much for "P. Joseph 'Xavier' Hayden"

Anonymous said...

Be careful on the "southern everyman" tip.